Dear reader, life is too short for crap books.

Monday, January 28, 2008

Bits and Pieces

While I'm officially back in Workout Barbie mode after a terribly extended holiday hiatus and a bout with the flu, I didn't do a whole lot of reading over the weekend. The only exception was getting through about half of the audiobook for Ken Follett's Eye of the Needle.

Call me a prude, but I have decided that I do not like to hear sex scenes read on audiobooks. It is awkward and weird, and does not go well with household chores like, say, cleaning the litter box.

So, until I catch up on my reading, I am going to rely on the creativity of others to make up for the slump in my own:

-A lovely interview with Sara Zarr and a review of her new book, Sweethearts. Her insightful first book, Story of a Girl, made me bawl my eyes out on the bus, and I can't wait to read this one.

- This has been up for awhile, but it amuses me to no end that Western PA has been chosen as the filming location for the adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's The Road. Because nothing says post-apocalyptic like the land of my birth. Fifty days of sunshine a year, folks -- it's amazing that I didn't die of ennui by the 8th grade.

- What treasures will the Beinecke dig up next?

- And some 1958 bestsellers at The Daily Mirror: Nevil Shute, Art Linkletter, and the odious Ayn Rand, who I learned this weekend, was a huge fan of the child murderer William Hickman. As if we needed one more reason to despise her.

No comments: