Dear reader, life is too short for crap books.

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Leaving the Ivory Tower

If you'll allow me to deviate from our regularly-scheduled programming for just a moment, I'd like to point you towards this, the instant in which the rarefied world of Barthes and Bloom meets that of Brangelina and Benniffer:

Camille Paglia in US Weekly discussing Jennifer Aniston.


Now what I really want to know is: Just what does Stanley Fish think about Seth and Summer breaking up in real life?

-----

Link via Defamer.

2 comments:

Gwen said...

I'm confused by the Defamer article referring to Camille Paglia as a feminist. I always thought of her as sort of a reactionary who made her own powerful and lucrative career from attacking and ridiculing the women's movement. Am I confused?

Jack said...

When Camille Paglia first came to prominence in the early 1990s I remember her being touted as "the feminist who loves men." What I've read of her work has suggested that she's not so much anti-feminist as anti-whining, regardless of gender.

She wrote a piece for Interview magazine about Columbine (what it said about American society and what she saw as the causes of that kind of violence) that was one of the two most insightful articles I'd read about the incident. I still have it somewhere if anyone interested.

This is not to say that Paglia does not occasionally go for the shock. She would be the first to admit it. But I think it comes out of her being pragmatic about a given subject more often than not.