Dear reader, life is too short for crap books.

Monday, April 30, 2007

Everything I Need To Know I Learned From Harriet the Spy

I'll be out of town for the rest of the week, so any posting will be left to Brady, who is currently hammering out his dissertation proposal, so don't hold your breath. In the meantime, I leave you with a few gems from the incomparable Harriet the Spy. It never ceases to amaze me how excellent this book is.

"Good manners are very important, particularly in the morning."

"Rich people are boring."

"They'll never get me in a mud pack."

"I'll be finked if I'll go to dancing school."

"I may not even get married. I may go to Europe and meet a lot of generals."

"No more nonesense."

"The people who try to control people and change people's habits are the ones that make all the trouble."

"And naturally those notebooks should not be read by anyone else, but if they are, Harriet, you are going to have to do two things, and you don't like either one of them. 1) You have to apologize. 2) You have to lie. Otherwise you are going to lose a friend. Little lies that make people feel better are not bad."

"Now that things are back to normal I can get some real work done."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Reading this made me think I could write a very strange post on "everything I need to know I learned from Judy Blume".