Dear reader, life is too short for crap books.

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Last Call for Contests/Favorite Fictional Books

First:

As per the headline of this post, last call for contest submissions is in 30 minutes at 5 a.m., Pacific Time. Still time to get last minute submissions in!

Second: My Top 5 Favorite Fictional/non-existent Books, and why they are awesome.

(Yeah, I'm really scraping the bottom of the barrel for posts at this point.)

5. The Necronomicon, from The Evil Dead/Army of Darkness. It bites. It turns people into Deadites. And it's wicked sarcastic. Most recently seen being used for, er, "bathroom reading" by a zombified Incredible Hulk. (Long story.)

4. Since we're talking about books that bite, I'll throw in The Monster Book of Monsters from the Harry Potter series. What the hey.

3. Destiny of the Endless's tome, The Sandman. It has everything that has ever or will ever happen in it, which explains why it's chained to Destiny like a suitcase nuke. But not even he knows what's on the last page. If it was me? I'd peek.

2. Hamster Huey and the Gooey Kablooey, Calvin and Hobbes. Judging by the title, I'd like to read this book. On the other hand, if it can get Calvin to go to sleep, it'd probably put normal humans in a coma. As opposed to now, where I lay awake nights wondering what a gooey kablooey is.

1. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. No contest, really, even though I suppose it's really more of a book-on-tape.

Edited to make my sleep-deprived prose less obtuse.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - "A Prayer for Owen Meany" by John Irving is the best book ever written. EVER.

Brady said...

It's good, sure, BUT DOESN'T IT HURT YOUR EYES TO READ OWEN'S DIALOGUE?

Unknown said...

Are you guys still at it? Transported beyond normal endurance they hurled their minds and bodies at the barriers of space and time and the perilous night.

Really though, you only have 1 hour to go
The woods look lonely long and deep and I have miles to go before I sleep
And miles to go before I sleep.
Looks like you had some goo runs at the poetry contests.
Was going to try the Possum one with a vision of a possum sticking his head through the wall of one of those FEMA trailers but the entry with the cottonmouth and the possum on top of the oil tank was already too good to top.

Gaga here too. Just wondering, which was harder - training and running a marathon or doing a 24 blogathon? Congratulations to you both on a job well done!!!

Anonymous said...

NOT AT ALL. LOVE IT!!!

*lol*