Dear reader, life is too short for crap books.

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Okay, So It Was More Than I Could Chew

Earlier yesterday, in the full flush of "having just woken up," I may have made some rash claims about finishing writing, arranging, and recording a tune.

It is with great regret that I admit defeat. The song whooped me.

How, you may ask, does a song whoop you? It steadfastly resists all attempts to construct a decent vocal melody. It refuses to accommodate any of the words you can think of to use for lyrics.

Most importantly, it is deuced hard to sing (key-wise) and - somewhat surprisingly seeing as how I wrote it - difficult to play correctly.

Now, on a day when I was not dropping what I was doing every half hour to raise money for library relief or to assist milady while doing same, I probably could have figured out what needed to be done. As it was, taking our downstairs neighbor into account, it was time to put away the noisy things before I got done.

But though I am bloody, I am unbowed. When I finish it, I'll post it here. And it will be...adequate. Maybe even (dare I dream?) catchy.

Until then, here are some pictures of cute animals to distract you from - as Patton Oswalt might put it - my "failure pile in a sadness bowl."


1 comment:

Gwen said...

I would have just written a totally different song along the lines of "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" and never mentioned the aborted first attempt, so you still get major credit for having ambition.

Just be sure you don't have this much ambition about your dissertation. Honestly--go the "Twinkle Twinkle" route.